Steel joists provide an economical and efficient structural framing option for constructing steel deck supported concrete floor systems. This webinar discusses the usage of K, LH, DLH, and CJ-Series joists in concrete floors and suggests typical span / depth ratios for each type of steel joist.
Open web steel joists permit the easy passage of plumbing, electrical, and HVAC without having to cut special web openings. For large HVAC ducts, the joist manufacturer can design special Vierendeel openings within the webs of the steel joists. Joist manufacturers can provide Building Information Models (BIM) showing joist web layout and opening sizes to facilitate HVAC design.
This webinar will introduce the Steel Joist Institute’s (SJI’s) Floor Bay Tool to assist in making economical comparisons with varying joist types, joist spacings, joist depths, and joist spans. Various types of joist seats will be discussed along with potential applications where each type of seat may be particularly advantageous.
The SJI new “Expanded” LH -Series tables provide more options for typical heavier floor loads. This webinar will briefly describe these new tables and outline associated benefits.
Vibration behavior of steel joist supported concrete floors can be accurately predicted in the design phase. Resources available to assist with floor vibration calculations will be discussed.
- Review benefits for utilizing SJI’s steel joists in steel deck supported concrete floor systems.
- Share information about SJI’s expanded LH-Series load tables and how these new tables provide more options for designing with standard LH joists in typical floors.
- Develop an understanding of the various types of steel joist bearing seats and preferred applications for each.
- Communicate how SJI’s free Excel-based Floor Bay Tool can assist in comparing different design options as well as estimating construction costs for steel joist floors.
- Discuss current resources and programs available for predicting the vibrational behavior of steel joist supported floor systems.
After adding the Industry or Education choice above to your cart and checking out, you will have access to this webinar's content: