This webinar will have three parts. Firstly we will discuss and show examples of joists needing to be retrofitted. Secondly, we will demonstrate methods to evaluate existing open web steel joists and Joist Girders for revised loading conditions. The last part will demonstrate the methods with examples of how to modify existing open web joists. This webinar parallels the Steel Joist Institute publication, Technical Digest No. 12 “Evaluation and Modification of Open Web Steel Joists and Joist Girders.
This in-depth webinar is sponsored by the Steel Joist Institute (SJI) and participation will earn you 1.5 PDHs.
- Show example of joists that can be retrofitted and example where joists should not be retrofitted.
- Identify the key characteristics of in place joists.
- Demonstrate how to determine who the original manufacturer was and whether they can provide any additional documentation.
- Show you how to verify the original design loads and evaluate the joist for the new loads.
- Give several methods and practices to modify existing joists to increase the load carrying capacity.
- Provide details that are commonly used to increase the load carrying capacity of a joist component.
After adding the Industry or Education choice above to your cart and checking out, you will have access to this webinar's content:
You can earn a CEU by watching the Industry version of this webinar, then successfully completing the related CEU exam: Retrofitting of Existing Buildings With Steel Joists Quiz. Access to the exam is available for purchase.