Steel Joist Applications & Capabilities for Floor Systems
Steel joists provide an economical and efficient structural framing option for constructing steel deck-supported concrete floor systems. This webinar discusses the usage of K-, LH-, DLH-, and CJ-Series joists in concrete floors and suggests typical span/depth ratios for each type of steel joist.
Open web steel joists permit the easy passage of plumbing, electrical, and HVAC without having to cut special web openings. For large HVAC ducts, the joist manufacturer can design special Vierendeel openings within the webs of the steel joists. Joist manufacturers can provide building information models (BIM) showing joist web layout and opening sizes to facilitate HVAC design.
The new Steel Joist Institute’s (SJI’s) “expanded” LH-Series tables provide more options for typical heavier floor loads. This webinar will briefly describe these new tables and outline associated benefits.
This webinar will also introduce the SJI’s Floor Bay Analysis Tool to assist in making economical comparisons with varying joist types, joist spacings, joist depths, and joist spans. SJI’s Floor Bay Analysis Tool has recently been updated to include vibration analysis for walking excitation.
Additionally, various types of joist seats will be discussed along with potential applications where each type of seat may be particularly advantageous.
Use of structural software programs such as RISAFloor and RAM Structural System can expedite the selection of SJI steel joists. Floor design examples will be shown to highlight the use of these two programs.
- Review benefits for utilizing SJI’s steel joists in steel deck-supported concrete floor systems.
- Share information about SJI’s new expanded LH-Series load tables and how these new tables provide more options for designing with standard LH-Series joists in typical floors.
- Develop an understanding of the various types of steel joist bearing seats and resulting impact on a floor’s vibrational behavior.
- Communicate how SJI’s free Excel-based Floor Bay Analysis Tool can assist in comparing different steel joist floor design options including a check of the floor vibration for walking excitation.
- Demonstrate how structural software programs such as RISAFloor and RAM Structural System can assist in the selection of steel joists.
Need your PDH? Take the 10 question online quiz for this webinar, Steel Joist Applications & Capabilities for Floor Systems, for the opportunity to receive 1.5 PDHs.