The new 44th Edition Catalog provides a more practical approach to better define the actual use of the products in the catalog. All of these changes below are aimed at making steel joists and Joist Girders safer, simpler to use and more economical. Any updates to the Specification are ANSI certified through consensus approval. Those updates and other changes include:
- K-Series, LH-Series and DLH-Series and Joist Girders have been combined into one Specification. Load Tables for these Series have not been combined and remain unchanged.
- Adjustments to the K-factor for web and bottom chord slenderness ratios. Design criteria or checks that were already being performed but had not been shown in the specifications, such as uncrimped single angles and erection bridging, have been added.
- Updates to the joint eccentricity criteria.
- Minimum end anchorage requirements have been increase for uplift.
- When exact locations for concentrated loads are known, the joist shall be designed without the need for field applied web members.
- For both K-Series and KCS joists, bending stress can no longer be neglected for panels less than 24”. The top chord design criteria now match that of LH-Series and DLH-Series.
- The Code of Stand Practice has been reorganized, revised and updated, including additional information on uplift and end anchorage.