This Third Edition of Technical Digest 8 has been developed by an Ad-Hoc Group of the Steel Joist Institute’s Engineering Practice Committee and is an extensive update of the previously written digest. Technical Digest 8 details the requirements that the SJI member companies must follow in the manufacturing of steel joists and Joist Girders and provides the reader information on the various types of welding processes and weld types, and weld designs currently and previously used by SJI member companies. Frequent reference has been made throughout the digest to the American Welding Society (AWS) Welding Specifications. Compliance with AWS criteria will satisfy the SJI welding requirements, and in many cases the SJI requirement is in compliance with a particular AWS provision. However, there are some differences. The reasons for the SJI to maintain their own specification language for welding is discussed throughout this document.
- SJI adoption of AWS D1.1 and D1.3 criterion with a few exceptions. The exceptions are listed in the digest and discussed.
- Welding requirements for both plant and field applications to resist seismic loads are included along with special design criteria related to Seismic Detailing of Ordinary Moment Frames.
- The four main welding types used by SJI manufactures are presented along with inspection criteria for completed welds. AWS D1.1 and D1.3 are followed and customized to address the specific requirements of SJI applications.
- Examples of prequalified welding procedures are presented.
- Selected weld test results are presented and discussed in Appendix A.
Published July 2020