Steel Joist Institute is excited to announce call for entries for the Design Awards. Winning entries will receive a $2,000 scholarship created in your company’s name for the school of your choice.
All projects submitted must be located in the United States, Canada or Mexico. The steel joists and/or joist girders must have been manufactured by an active member of the Steel Joist Institute. Only projects constructed within the last three years will be considered. Projects eligible include new buildings and major retrofit or expansion projects. More than one project may be entered. Each project will be judged separately.
Can’t decide which one of your projects to submit? No worries, you may submit more than one project.
The awards will be presented in three major categories, as follows:
- Industrial (i.e. distribution centers, warehouses, and light manufacturing)
- Non-industrial (i.e. office buildings, schools, and churches)
- Unique applications (i.e. projects with a unique application of steel joists)
Judging of each entry is evaluated and based on the following criteria:
- Flexibility – What role did flexibility play in how the steel joists were utilized? Did the project need to allow for an addition later? Were steel joists selected over other structural systems because of flexibility?
- Speed of construction – How quickly did the construction and erection of the steel joists take place? Was weather a factor?
- Value – How did the cost of the project compare with the results? Was the overall cost of the project a good value?
- Aesthetic considerations – Did the use of steel joists enhance the overall appearance of the project?